Thursday, February 29, 2024
HomeDogMy Dog Ate An Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

My Dog Ate An Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

Sharing cookies with your pups might be a harmless treat but there are things you need to be sure of before you start giving them to them, the nutritional components of the cookies in question especially when it has raisins in it.

It is because of ignorance of this topic that made some people lament, my dog ate an oatmeal raisin cookies, what should I do? Don’t worry you will find out everything you need to know before the end of this article.

What Are Oatmeal Raisin Cookies?

An oatmeal raisin cookie is a type of drop cookie made with every ingredient used in making normal oatmeal cookies (flour, sugar, spices, salt, and eggs) except that raisins are included.

Oatmeal raisin cookies contain whole-grain oats with a high quantity of dietary fiber and carbohydrates. They provide slow-burning energy that prevents piercing in blood sugar which is essential for diabetes in humans. They are a little crispy at the edges but a little crusty in the middle and are good for human consumption.

Can Dogs Eat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies?

The answer is No unless you are giving it to them in a very small quantity, and that is only if your dogs are already big, small dogs will be badly affected.

Oats could be nutritious and safe for dogs, but what about raisins? They are toxic and sometimes contain ingredients and artificial sweeteners that are not good for your dogs.

Oatmeal-raising cookies have high fiber, vitamins, and minerals contained in them which are essential for your dogs’ good health but the risks attached to it due to the presence of raisins are way too much, and it is best to avoid it especially when you have a dog with diabetes. If you want to give your dog cookies, make sure it is one made from dog-safe ingredients.

What Happens If My Dog Ate An Oatmeal Raisin Cookie?

A body change due to the reactions from the raisins already inside the body, you will start observing some symptoms as they start showing up, such possible symptoms include;

Vomiting
Weakness
Dehydration
Diarrhea
Depression
Bad breath
Weight loss
Loss of appetite
Decreased urination
Kidney failure

It is not confirmed whether these are the only symptoms, so make sure you consult the vet whenever you notice any symptom, even the ones not listed above, that way you will be sure what your dog is suffering from and then you can save them early enough.

Why Are Raisins Poisonous To Dogs?

Raisins are simply dry grapes, but while the components are known, the reasons behind their toxicity are yet unknown.

Their toxicity to dogs can cause sudden kidney failure and a lack of urine production called anuria. The injection of raisins could be fatal to dogs so try as much as you can to avoid it.

How Do I Know If My Dog Ate Raisins?

Unfortunately, the early symptoms of raisin poisoning in dogs are not yet specific. You will observe things like vomiting, weakness, and diarrhea which can equally be symptoms of any other sickness, so by mare observation, you might get confused as to what your dog ate, whether it is raisin or not. So the best thing is to consult the vet immediately after you start noticing any symptoms at all.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Oatmeal Raisin Cookies?

If you saw it or maybe you are certain it ate some raisin, just rush it to the vet for treatment.

You might also want to try out something on your own before heading to the vet, and that would be trying to minimize damage to the kidney, which you can do by blocking the absorption of the toxins.

Try and induce vomiting or try the administering activated charcoal method so that you can decontaminate the dog at once. Vomiting would work even after 5 hours after injection.

More treatment might still be necessary at this point, then you have to bring on the aggressive intravenous fluids, this also helps to reduce dangers for the kidney by supporting and protecting them. All these should serve as first aid, make sure you take them to the vet for tests and proper medication.

How Do I Get My Dog To Throw Up After Eating Raisins?

Vomiting is a quick way to remove a harmful substance like raisins from your dog’s body before it starts damaging the organs, but the challenge lies in how to make it throw up safely. Here are a few things you need to know before you can try to make your dog vomit.

A dog can vomit what it ate on its own, but there is always a high chance it might not so that’s where you come in.

A veterinarian’s advice and guidance are required due to certain reasons, regurgitating a sharp object or any caustic material can cause harm to your dog. Also, the act of making them vomit can cause aspiration pneumonia if they have inhaled any gastric contents. But all this you must have understood if you consulted the vet before taking action.

Should You Give Water To A Poisoned Dog?

If your dog takes any poisonous substance, do not give them water or anything else to eat or drink, just make sure you speak with a vet first. All you need to do is to wipe the mouth with a clean towel to avoid licking up any poison remaining in its mouth.

Can Dogs Eat Iced Oatmeal Cookies?

Don’t forget that icing contains a lot of sugar and calories which could be dangerous to dogs. Giving it to them is simply gambling with their health, they may not fall sick immediately after they ate an iced oatmeal cookie but it is still best to let go.

Benefits Of Feeding Your Dog Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Aside from the raisin which is toxic to dogs, oatmeal cookies are highly nutritious because of the oats, flour, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and every other ingredient that is contained inside.

They are rich in fiber which helps to regulate cholesterol, promote digestion, and normalize blood sugar levels.

Oatmeal raisin cookie is also rich in vitamins, minerals, iron, potassium, sodium, and calcium which help our dogs stay healthy always. But the fact that it contains raisins makes it eatable for a human being alone and not for your dear pups.

Can A Dog Eat Raisins And Live?

Even consuming a little piece of raisin can be fatal, but if a big dog for instance eats raisins and receives treatment immediately, the chance of survival is high, compared to if there was a delay before commencing treatment or if it was a small dog that ate it, the survival rate will be very low because if the kidneys are damaged and no urine is produced it will lead to poor prognosis and death is likely the next thing.

Does Milk Help A Poisoned Dog?

Well, the truth is that milk does no such miracle, if you have heard about it somewhere that some poisoned dog drank milk and regained itself then it is a pure coincidence. Milk is certainly nutritious but it has no medicinal components that can make it neutralize poison.

It can even worsen the situation if your pets are lactose intolerant, milk causes stomach upset for them.

What Absorbs Poison In Dogs?

The use of activated charcoal helps in absorbing the ingested toxin to lessen its effects. Activated charcoal is a commonly used treatment in dogs to get rid of intoxication.

Summary

Oatmeal cookies are highly nutritious and excellent for dogs but you have to watch well and make sure that raisins are not included in the content else you are just doing your dogs more harm than good. Raisins are toxic to dogs and can give them acute kidney problems, don’t joke with this fact.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular